Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 08:07:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 04:37:07PM +0000, "J├│hann B. Gu├░mundsson" wrote:

> >Replying to my own email, apologies. I've now gone through the entire
> >list of applications-in-fedora-without-appdata. A*lot*  of those
> >applications haven't seen an upstream release in half a decade, some
> >over a decade. I would estimate that 40% of all the apps in Fedora are
> >dead or semi-dead upstream. Excluding the KDE/XFCE/LXDE applications,
> >I'd say we had a 70% completion of the applications I'd like to see in
> >the software center. I've filed a lot of upstream bugs in the last two
> >hours, so hopefully that's another few percent sorted.
>
> I wished we could simply just clean those bits out of our
> distribution because quite frankly we have 14+k components in the
> distribution and not nearly enough manpower to cover that all.

You seem to be operating under a delusion that, if someone's package is
forcibly dropped, (s)he will automatically seek comaintainership of
another package "to fill the vacuum". That is not very likely. What is
likely, however, is that (s)he will become angered, orphan the rest of
his/her packages and disappear.

D.