Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 08:23:21 UTC 2014

On 22 January 2014 21:44, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Richard already wrote a plugin :)
>> https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-software/blob/e80d751ae0768a8969ff52e1cfc29a692a79bda0/src/plugins/gs-plugin-fedora-tagger.c
> Clearly, an excellent idea, then. :)

Yes, it's all wired up and working in Fedora rawhide. The ratings flow
both ways, so that if the user clicks on the star rating widget then
it gets pushed back to fedora-tagger, and if the user hasn't got the
app installed then the fedora-tagger rating is shown. It works pretty
well now, but when the masses start (hopefully) using it in F21 it'll
be more statistically sound.

> But actually what I meant was whether it would be valuable for the tagger
> app to _also_ let you add descriptions to applications which should have
> appdata but don't. This is probably a less-good idea... I was just thinking
> that since we have a program for user-created package metadata of one sort,
> maybe it could also help here.

I don't think that works, as there's often an n:1 ratio of
applications to packages.

Richard.