Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 23 21:33:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:03:02 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 03.01.2014 19:14, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > […] So those are my things. What do you think about them? What
> > else should be included? What different directions should we
> > consider? How will we make Fedora more awesome than ever in the
> > coming year?
>
> Okay, I'll bite (after thinking whether writing this mail is worth
> it):

Hey Thorsten! Glad you did. ;)

> I'm still undecided if I overall like Fedora.next or fear it. But more
> and more I tend to the latter position and wonder if it might be wise
> to slow things down: Do one more Fedora release the old style in round
> about June; that would give us more time to better discuss and work
> out Fedora.next and get contributors involved better in the planing.

This is not practical. Lots of people are thinking about a
fedora.next, qa folks are coding away, lots of people who normally
would be working on the next release are not. If we tell them to stop
all that and go back to normal, we could, but then fedora.next will
likely never ever happen.

> The main reason for that: Fedora.next is a huge effort that seems to
> make everything even more complicated. It imho is also sold pretty
> badly right now, as you have to invest quite a lot of time to
> understand what Fedora.next actually is. And Fedora.next to me seems
> like something the core contributors push forward without having
> really abort those Fedora contributors who don't have Fedora as one of
> their top priorities in life.
...snip...

So, I'll share my thoughts on it here, seems like a good place. :)

The current problem I have with Fedora.next is that it's so abstract. I
understand that people who like PRD's and TPS want high level
descriptions of what we want to do with goals and visions and such, and
thats great. However, I'm a technical person. I like concrete plans and
pushing what we can do with the technology we have at hand, or helping
to make new technology to do what we want.

We are now down to the point where groups have written up their PRD
documents, and can get down to details. So, I am hopeful in the next
month or so we will gain a lot more interest in fedora.next and more
feedback as concrete deliverables are discussed, etc.

That is my hope at least... we will see. :)

kevin