Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 21:49:46 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 13:48 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > To be honest my concerns are more with my user hat on than my contributor
> > hat - that we will lose the gold standard unified packaging standards and
> > single source and mechanism for installing packages.
>
> I haven't seen anything from any WG that would suggest a deviation
> from RPM packaging guidelines or using separate repositories.  It is a
> valid concern and one we need to keep an eye on.

Um. As I read it, three out of four WGs - desktop, server, and cloud -
have at least discussed the possibility of implementing what are, in
essence, secondary package management layers. The details differ - 'app
bundles' for desktop, 'containers' or whatever for server and cloud -
but the effect is the same.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey