Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 23 22:05:07 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:57:38 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> The repos will still exist, but things will be different. At present,
> the Fedora repos are the single unified official Fedora method for
> deploying software on Fedora products. Any other method you can use to
> deploy software is not an 'official Fedora' thing.
>
> If these plans go ahead, we will have multiple official/blessed
> methods for deploying software on Fedora, potentially with different
> policies about what software they can include and how that software
> should be arranged, how dependencies should be handled, and all the
> rest of it. Some of these methods will be shared between products,
> and some will either only exist in certain products, or at least be
> clearly associated with and 'owned' by those products.

Well, there's no details to see that yet. There's lots of ideas around
those things, but any detailed discussion I have seen has resulted in
"thats implementation details, lets keep the PRD high level".
Or "we could use docker or SCLs or just rpms for this" with no
proposal.

So, perhaps in the coming month we will actually see concrete proposals
around how to use these methods and can actually discuss them. ;)

kevin