Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 23 23:15:29 UTC 2014

Am 24.01.2014 00:08, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 16:55 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> That wont reduce the bugs reported against it...
>>
>> well, why not remove all packages so no bugs get reported at all?
>>
>> consider packages for removal because upstream does not jump around
>> and release at least once per year a new version is.... hmmm... i
>> must not say the words in public....
>
> I think this discussion is going down a needlessly divisive path that it
> doesn't need to at all.

agreed

> The discussion is assuming we have precisely two choices:
>
> * Rigidly and with no exceptions throw out software which meets some
> arbitrary approximations for determining 'maintained or abandoned'

the problem is how this would be defined

> * Change nothing

before doing damage in remove packages working for people who are
using them and do no harm to others i would prefer that

> I don't think that's true at all. Would anyone on either side of the
> debate object to an approach which tried to identify software that was
> truly abandoned either up- or down-stream - not just 'software that no
> longer required changing' - and throw that out?

but who is really in the position to make that decision and how would
he do it honestly

> I'm sure there's at least a certain amount of low-hanging fruit that
> no-one would really mind getting rid of

but how make the decisions and who do the work of investigation?

the only thing i can imagine is

* does not pass the mass-rebuilds for new releases or dependencies
* nobody cares to look why

anything which goes abvoe this may do more harm as it could have benefits
and no, in doubt open bugs only counted has bo value because it would need
a deeper look if they are valid at all or only wishful thinking of the
reporter or a RFE not declared as such