Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 23:26:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 16:19 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:08:13 -0800
> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > I don't think that's true at all. Would anyone on either side of the
> > debate object to an approach which tried to identify software that was
> > truly abandoned either up- or down-stream - not just 'software that no
> > longer required changing' - and throw that out?
> >
> > I'm sure there's at least a certain amount of low-hanging fruit that
> > no-one would really mind getting rid of.
>
> I think the problem would be coming up with a acceptable criteria for
> detecting 'truely abandoned' packages.
>
> I mean, I'm a maintainer for the Fedora apg package.
> Last upstream release was 2003. I very rarely touch it.
> Yet, from time to time I still use it here, I suspect, but do not know
> that others install and use it.
>
> It has no bugs currently opened against it.
>
> It's not failed a mass rebuild.
>
> The last time I touched it was to move it to use systemd unit files
> (it can optionally run a network service to return it's data).
>
> Is this a package that should be removed for being abandoned?

Well, let's say it's certainly not 'low-hanging fruit' :)

I'm not saying I have all the answers, just suggesting a possibly more
productive course. At least now we have people co-operatively discussing
the possibilities and potential dangers of doing an *intelligent*
pruning, rather than throwing crap at each other from entrenched
positions about whether a *dumb* pruning is a good idea or not. I'd say
that's an improvement.

If I was the one drawing up a proposal to do this, I'd start from the
*easy* cases. The *hard* cases you can handle later, and it would
obviously be perfectly reasonable to adopt a 'conservative' posture,
where the default expectation is that packages will be kept, and there
has to be a strong argument/consensus/whatever for throwing a package
out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey