boot.fedoraproject.org (BFO)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 24 00:23:13 UTC 2014

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> IMHO you're absolutely wrong. Fortunately it seems that not so much
> people agree with you since I see a lot of activily on a given
> third-party proprietary web service (compared with a dead silence at
> fedorahosted). So actually people already voted, and they voted
> against Fedorahosted. You just need to realize that we already "lost"
> "control" here. I understand that numbers could be much more
> convincing and I hope somebody will measure activity at fedorahosted
> and at GitHub but I doubt the results disprove my point.

That's why we need enforcement. There should be a statement from a competent
committee (Board, FESCo, whomever) that effective NOW, stuff can ONLY be
uploaded to production (and staging too, probably) infrastructure if it is
either:
(a) developed on Fedora Hosted or
(b) has a demonstrable non-Fedora upstream and significant use at other
projects (i.e., a clause intended for stuff like Trac that's clearly reuse
of existing third-party community code, NOT stuff like pkgdb2).

Anything that does NOT fit into either (a) or (b) (even any updates to
already deployed stuff) should be REQUIRED to move to Fedora Hosted before
it can be deployed.

Fedora MUST NOT be at the whim of third-party code hosting services,
especially proprietary ones.

        Kevin Kofler