boot.fedoraproject.org (BFO)

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Fri Jan 24 03:14:50 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> said:
> This shows that people have not learned ANYTHING from the ButtKeeper fiasco.
> :-(

I think there's a big difference between that and Github.  AFAIK Github
isn't trying to claim ownership of all data and metadata related to
hosted projects, or restrict who can use the tools, see the data, etc.

And after all, that situation did give rise to git.  Imagine if Github
turned restrictive somehow, maybe someone would go and invent something
even cooler to produce a whole new world of stuff! :)

Seriously though, I don't see a problem with Github.  It is SourceForge
2.0 as far as I can tell, and I'm sure something will come along
eventually and replace it as the "new hotness".  I can see putting
projects that even might have some non-Fedora interest on
non-Fedora-hosted platforms, if only to try to attract other interest.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>