Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 06:57:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-24 at 13:50 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> Maybe we can learn some metrics from other distros as well. See how
> they handle such hot potatos when meeting zombie packagers.

I tend to assume Debian's pretty good at this stuff, but aside from
them, I strongly doubt the others are any better than us.

When I was at MDK I spent quite a while going through the package
database cleaning up and rebuilding, oh, hundreds or thousands of the
same kind of zombie packages. I don't recall the details quite
precisely, but it was a long long time after we switched the release tag
from 'mdk' to 'mdv(release)' - like, years after - and there were still
hundreds of 'mdk' packages.

> But, never deem that 5k components is the best number, comparing to
> other Linux, we are far away behind. They can be used still at the
> moment, why do we burden ourselves by the insignificant numbers?

Do we know they can be used, or only that they compile? Code can compile
but still basically be nonsense. Some of the hoary old stuff I hit in
MDV was no use to man nor beast.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey