Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 10:39:04 UTC 2014

On 24 January 2014 10:32, Björn Persson <bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> I'm not familiar with APG but from your description it sounds like a
> perfect example of stable and reliable software – the best kind there
> is.

Right, so it belongs in Fedora; I don't think anyone is arguing
against that. There is a metric ton of packages that are dead upstream
with very few (if any users). I feel that a lot of these types of
package are getting auto-cleansed from the distro when they fail the
automated rebuilds a few releases in a row, or when the original
fedora maintainer gets sick of the bug-mails and simply orphans it.

My mail was about crappy GUI applications that users install and then
the application crashes, they report a bug or feature request, wait,
and nothing happens as the upstream is long dead and there are going
to be no more releases. We can include those in the distribution for
very little "cost", but we shouldn't be advertising them in the
software center among all the other awesome applications we have.

Richard