Drawing lessons from fatal SELinux bug #1054350

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 24 16:31:56 UTC 2014

Am 24.01.2014 17:12, schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On 01/24/2014 04:57 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Been there many times
>>
>> no, you did not and you did also not in your example below
>>
>>> Real world example with a package I maintain, which currently has an update pending in updates-testing:
>>>
>>> # yum distro-sync
>>> Downgrading:
>>> gumbo-parser                              x86_64
>>> 1.0-0.2.20131001gitd90ea2b.fc20                               fedora
>>> Removed:
>>>    gumbo-parser.x86_64 0:1.0-0.2.20131204git87b99f2.fc20
>>>
>>> Installed:
>>>    gumbo-parser.x86_64 0:1.0-0.2.20131001gitd90ea2b.fc20
>>
>> nothing is blown away, you only did not read the output
>> because it was *downgraded* and *not* removed
> Rubbish - Stop being childish.

nobody here is childish, except maybe you

>> this is *completly* different than "blown away"
>> this is what distro-sync *is supposed to do*
>> upgrade or downgrade any package which is in whatever current repo
>> but it *does not* blow away packages not in any repo at all
>
> It if the package from updates-testing was fixing a critical bug on your system, your system would be
> malfunctioning afterwards

and exactly *that* was what i said in my first reply while you
stripped *exactly* that part out from your quote, most likely
because you replied with a reflex without read exactly 5 lines
completly

but that is *not* "a) This would blow away all installed packages, which aren't available in
permanently enabled repos" because that would mean *uninstall* any package which is currently
not in a enabled repo - and that is *not* what distro-sync does

below *again* my complete reply which is and was technical correct
while your "would blow away" is not

so before call others childish the next time before you reply to a message
read also the second pararaph to avoid useless discussions

-------- Original-Nachricht --------