Source string contextualization

Ankit Patel ankit at redhat.com
Sat Jan 25 04:34:59 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 10:14 PM, Miloslav Trma wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 3:07 PM, K�vin Raymond
> <shaiton at fedoraproject.org <mailto:shaiton at fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Nilamdyuti Goswami
>     <ngoswami at redhat.com <mailto:ngoswami at redhat.com>> wrote:
>     > To solve this issue, we have formed a Fedora SIG named "Source String
>     > Contextualizing Group" [1] aimed at
>     > providing concise yet meaningful description of the concerned source strings
>     > in the source code itself to ensure the correctness and quality in the
>     > resulting translations.
>
>     It is *just* about improving the source code?
>     There is already a Transifex feature which can help provide context
>     without having to edit the source code.
>

> Having translation context comments together with the source code is
> beneficial for the same reason having API documentation together with
> the source code is beneficial: they don't get out of sync.
>
> Especially note that merely the English string is not always a
> sufficient identifier of the context, unlike a function/method name in
> an API.� An infamous case is the string "May" which may either be a
> month name or a verb (in a software that is splicing sentences), and
> there already was an application that used both.� Attaching a context
> within the translation tool just wouldn't have worked.
> ���� Mirek

+1

Absolutely,

The idea is to fix the problem from it's root rather than going the
reverse way. An ecosystem for the betterment of the content
representation is going to be helpful for
* developers
* translators
* end users
* and everyone else.

I can see that the SSCG SIG[1] is looking for an active support from
this larger group of developers to let them provide patches or updates
with regards to contextual information.

Thanks,

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SSCG
--