Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sun Jan 26 11:14:28 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 11:08 AM, drago01 wrote:
> gcc isn't an application in a sense of "gui application" so there is
> to ways to install it
> either the user installs an IDE which pulls it in as dep or he/she
> installs it using yum/dnf.

Would it not be better to have a 'software center' that includes ALL
software available, be they GUI related or not? Probably based on
rpm-packages, as that is what our system ultimately relies on. A GUI to
handle ALL software available would be better, than one only installing
GUI-related software, in my opinion.

>> How does 'application' correlates to a rpm-package?
>
> Application means GUI application that has a .desktop file.

That makes the 'software center' of lesser use, as the user will be
confused when he/she does not find the program/rpm-package/application
he/she wants to install.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>