Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Nikos Roussos comzeradd at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jan 26 11:32:14 UTC 2014

Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>On 25.01.2014 17:35, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 11:20 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>
>>> Debian, who has a similar stance on
>>> non-free Software, does a way better job in that area than Fedora
>does.
>> Well, not really - they don't have a 'similar stance', they have an
>> official non-free repository. That's kind of a significant
>> difference. :)
>
>Ha, Debian and Fedora, the distributions, are imo not that different
>after a standard install (but yes, there are differences as well -
>patents strategy, Firmware). But yes, you are right, the Debian project
>has a a official non-free repository, which is a significant difference
>to the Fedora project. One that leads to a better user experience;
>something that afics a lot of Fedora users and some Fedoraproject
>developers want to see as well.

Let's avoid personal examples. I also know many users and Fedora contributors
that respect Fedora's foundations and would probably leave Fedora if these were to change.

> That's why I think it would be good if
>the the Fedora project might help/guide in that are, even if the
>resulting repo and the main work is done outside of the Fedora project.

I agree with guidance. I don't think anyone would object to help them,
so that *they* can ship their software for Fedora in a more UX friendly way.