Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 12:05:30 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
> On 01/26/2014 11:08 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>
>> gcc isn't an application in a sense of "gui application" so there is
>> to ways to install it
>> either the user installs an IDE which pulls it in as dep or he/she
>> installs it using yum/dnf.
>

> Would it not be better to have a 'software center' that includes ALL
> software available, be they GUI related or not?

No. Installing a non gui app that is invisible to the user does not
make much sense.
The user that knows about the cmd line can just install it from there as well.

>Probably based on
> rpm-packages,

No we had that already. A package is an implementation detail. All the
users care about are the applications.

> as that is what our system ultimately relies on. A GUI to
> handle ALL software available would be better, than one only installing
> GUI-related software, in my opinion.

We have some of them already and the user experience is sub par
compared to other plattforms that don't do that.

>>> How does 'application' correlates to a rpm-package?
>>

>> Application means GUI application that has a .desktop file.
>

> That makes the 'software center' of lesser use, as the user will be confused
> when he/she does not find the program/rpm-package/application he/she wants
> to install.

Installing an application and then not finding it anywhere is
confusing. So we limit it
to visible apps i.e GUI apps.