Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 13:40:51 UTC 2014

On 1/26/14, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako at redhat.com> wrote:

> I feel obligated to comment on this. JPackage and Fedora have taken
> different routes years ago and installing JPackage rpm on top of Fedora will
> likely break Fedora packages due to:
> * additional OSGi metadata Fedora ships but JPackage doesn't
> * different places of maven pom and depmap changes
> * different major versions of the same package (aka maven package in
> JPackage was 1.x (last I checked) but in Fedora it's 3.x) and etc.
>
> Would you please point to a place where jpackage is stated as compatible?
> This is probably a legacy page which needs to be updated with current state
> of affairs so people don't think they can mix and match freely.
>
> Alexander Kurtakov
> Red Hat Eclipse team
Oops, bad example it seems. Had the link at hand yesterday, don't find it now.

Now let's drop jpackage in this discussion. It is obviously a bad
example. But in a way, it's also a good one. Given your statement, I
find it highly unlikely that  a packaged jpackage repo would have
survived a package review, if at all submitted. IMHO, this is really
the important issue here.

--alec