Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 16:57:06 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 12:14 +0100, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>> On 01/26/2014 11:08 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> > gcc isn't an application in a sense of "gui application" so there is
>> > to ways to install it
>> > either the user installs an IDE which pulls it in as dep or he/she
>> > installs it using yum/dnf.
>>
>> Would it not be better to have a 'software center' that includes ALL
>> software available, be they GUI related or not? Probably based on
>> rpm-packages, as that is what our system ultimately relies on. A GUI to
>> handle ALL software available would be better, than one only installing
>> GUI-related software, in my opinion.

>> > Application means GUI application that has a .desktop file.
>>
>> That makes the 'software center' of lesser use, as the user will be
>> confused when he/she does not find the program/rpm-package/application
>> he/she wants to install.
>>
>> Lars
>> --
>> Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
>> http://www.sm6rpz.se/
>
> Another issue, I think, [...]

No this isn't an issue at all. No one is saying that non gui apps are
useless or should be removed.
The point is that gui installer installs gui apps. If you want to
install a command line tool whats wrong with
using the command line for that? If you don't know how to use the
command line there is no point in installing
it in the first place.