Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 26 17:10:39 UTC 2014

Am 26.01.2014 18:01, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM, drago01 wrote:
>
>     No this isn't an issue at all. No one is saying that non gui apps are
>     useless or should be removed.
>     The point is that gui installer installs gui apps. If you want to
>     install a command line tool whats wrong with
>     using the command line for that? If you don't know how to use the
>     command line there is no point in installing
>     it in the first place.
>
> I can use yum just fine but I don't find it convenient to go to the gui for gui apps and then
> remember to go use yum to install command line apps

additionally:

if you teach new users to the software-center they will not really
aprreciate it reading as example that rsync is a cool tool with
command examples in whatever linux magazine and don't find in
that was told them to install software

that leads easily in "oh fedora don't have that"

"if you don't know how to use the commandline" is a bad attitude

how do you learn to use it from scratch?
by find examples and commands somewhere in the internet or magazines

summary:

a good software-center simply would have two tabs

* graphical software (default)
* command line tools

the command line tools in doubt does not need more than
the description of the RPM packages already present

do not forget how *you* learned to deal with your linux system
do not build barriers that complete new users have the same chance