Snapshotting for rollback after updates was[ Re: Drawing lessons from fatal SELinux bug #1054350]

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jan 27 00:18:12 UTC 2014

On Jan 26, 2014, at 4:55 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 27.01.2014 00:51, schrieb Chris Murphy:
>> On Jan 26, 2014, at 4:29 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> do yourself and everybody a favour and
>>>
>>> * don't claim others are rude while you talk like above and worser half of the thread
>>> * don't talk about things above your technical scope
>>> * discuss with software engineers while lacking basic understanding of the topic
>>>
>>> posts like yours in that thread belongs to the users list and *not* to a development list
>>
>> Request declined.
>>
>> You are the only person who has suggested a method of rollbacks that fundamentally would not work
>
> are you drunken?

I haven't had anything to drink in 24+ hours, but this seems off topic.

> i have *not* requested any method of rollback

You gave several examples of rollback-snapshot methods - same thing as you suggested them. I never said you requested them.

> i just gave a few warnings what problems has to be considered if rollbacks
> of snapshots are taken as possible solution - so *stop* talk to threads if
> you have no clue about the topic and about who said what

Yes, problems as a result of improper rollback methods. I will not stop challenging junk suggestions which you then use to cast a wide net to argue against all forms of snapshotting and rollback. It's absurd argumentation.

> * read what others said
> * start at the begin of the thread doing that
> * try to understand what you read before commetn any word
> * look at the *context* of several posts becaus eoyu need that information to understand
> * after that claim what people suggested or in reality you would say nothing at all

Take your own advice. I've been following the thread from the very start, and your snapshot-rollback examples are all junk. Just for instance:

On Jan 26, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> * restore a snapshot of /usr and you have fun with /var/lib/rpm
> * restore a snapshot of /var/lib/ without /usr and you have fun with the rpmdb and others
> * restore a snapshot of /usr without /etc and you *may have* random fun

Only you have come up with such utterly implausible examples of snapshot-rollback behavior and then chosen to argue against *all* possible snapshot-rollbacks in general. No one would do rollbacks the way you describe above. It would almost certainly break the system.

Chris Murphy