Fedora.next: I would like working configurations

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 21:16:20 UTC 2014

On 27 January 2014 14:01, Robert M. Albrecht <lists at romal.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> dhcpd is just an (maybe bad) example.
>
> But even dhcpd needs a lot of work. I need to configure ranges, options
> (which could like gateqway and dns partly automagically gathered from the
> exsting network configuration), ... binding dhcpd to bind to enable dynamic
> updates, ...

The reason why these daemons are not ready to run is that when they used to
be ready to run, they caused problems with whatever environment was already
there. We used to ship tools which could do what was thought to be a
reasonable job of configuring them but it quickly turned into that no one
does their environment the same way and doesn't want to be told to do it
like anyone else.

Being ready out of the box though is not always desirable. I have regularly
seen networks go offline because someone installed Microsoft DHCP but not
taken into account the already configured DHCP boxes. [The same with AD and
other items...] Being ready to work works well in small environments but
quickly causes more headaches in more complex ones. Having to account for
that is where most of the things that need the admin to really know what is
going on in their environment and being able to translate to making the
computer do what is needed versus what is wanted.

It isn't an insurmountable problem, and I guess the Server Roles or
something similar will help do that but it will take a lot of work to get
there.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.