Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 28 16:20:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 09:42:54AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> So, here's some things I see.

Oh, I forgot one...

* There is a lot of excitement about containers right now. It's not a new
  idea, but one where a lot of things have come together to make
  containerization interesting and viable on Linux. We should be positioned
  to lead in this area. That means at minimum efforts around Docker and
  LinuxApps, but it could go beyond that. Look at what CoreOS and
  Boot-to-Docker are doing -- a very minimal base OS with even system
  services provided as containers. It's possible that it's just a fad, but
  it may also be the next big direction for Linux-based operating systems.
  Even if we don't lead here, we should be prepared to adapt.