Fedora.next in 2014 -- Big Picture and Themes

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 28 20:52:56 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 12:16:40PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > I will be giving a talk on Sunday, February 9th in at DevConf in Brno,
> > CZ, and I'll post slides from that (probably here as text as well), and
> > I assume there will be video.
> That's great (I'll be there; Fosdem as well), but please allow me a side
> note here: Videos and IRC logs are a great resource if you really care
> about something and want to know all the details. But the ratio for
> "time spend watching/reading vs. information gathered" is often quite
> bad. That's why written, easy to read summaries are important. And I
> think we got too few of them from Flock last year, which is one of the
> reason why I had/have problems to fully understand Fedora.next.

Oh, absolutely.  The transcripts from the Flock talks that had them (see
https://lwn.net/Articles/563213/) were awesome, but summaries are even
better. I'll try to use the slides I have yet to put together as the basis
of a post here (and maybe a wiki page update).

> Agreed. For example, "+1/like"-Buttons for a mailing list would be good
> afaics, to get a rough impression how people think (just wondering: will
> hyperkitty or something from that camp of developers have this?). But
> that's just one thing that springs to my mind and a different topic.

FTR, yes, that's a key feature of hyperkitty.

> To be honest: only a little bit. Fedora.next simply is so big (I'm
> wondering if too much is cramped into it) and still vague in some parts
> that I remain careful. But that's not unusual, I'm quite sceptic all the
> time and more of a pessimist ;-)

The big parts don't need to be done all at once. (Some of them might not
need to be done at all.) Careful is good.

> And for now I have something else I need to take care of first:
> preparing my devconf talk :D

Yes -- see you there!