Heads up; F22 will require applications to ship appdata to be listed in software center

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 23:58:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:48:50 -0500, you wrote:

>> > "yum search compiler"
>> ... which lists a lot of packages, but neither gcc-c++ nor clang.
>> So yes, yum can search, but the metadata is limiting.
>
>So.....
>
>yum search all compiler
>
>will also search package descriptions and URLs (in addition to the default
>of just package names and summaries).
>
>That includes both gcc-c++ and clang.

But what it returns can be less than helpful if you don't already have
an idea of what you need.

So for clang we get "A C language family front-end for LLVM", which to
many of us probably means C and C++ (but we may not think of
Ojbective-C), but someone new to programming may not make the
connection.

But the good news is that plain old gcc is apparently all powerful,
because according to the search gcc has "Various Compilers (C, C++,
Objective-C, Java, ...) so if I didn't know better I could just
install the gcc rpm and compile my Java code...

Or maybe they are looking for a Go compiler?  None listed in those
short descriptions - gcc-go merely says "Go support", while golang
doenn't get listed at all.  A search for Go gives a huge list, not
even sorted alphabetically, to sort through.

On the other hand, why should you need to become an expert on the
options of yum to find a compiler?  Particularly when you have a gui
program that seems to be a list of programs that are available.

Even more fun is dnf, which appears to return the list in entirely
random order.