Fedora.next: I would like working configurations

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 29 00:41:07 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 01:48 +0200, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 January 2014 08:23:46 Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > Forwarding this to server at lists.fedoraproject.org as well. Responses
> > inline.
>
> As I'm not on the server list (yet), I replied to both lists.
> If "devel" should be off this thread, just remove it in your next reply
> and I'll understand the hint.
>
> > I realize you address this below somewhat, but I want to call out that
> > what you're describing here is the *presentation layer* of
> > configuration, not necessarily the configuration itself. In general,
> > the vast majority of applications keep their configurations in 1) a
> > set of text files, 2) a project-specific database or 3) a combination
> > of the two)
> >
> > If projects provide a set of tools to manipulate this configuration,
> > that's separate from the configuration itself. As we start talking
> > about applying configuration to a system, we can reuse existing tools
> > where they make sense, but it's also reasonable to say that we might
> > choose to bypass them and use a tool such as Augeaus or Puppet to
> > apply the configuration we want.
>
> +1
>
> My point was that creating a standard *model* does not prevent us
> from choosing different mechanisms for the implementation. It simply
> hides those differences behind a standard interface[s].
>
> Just like packagers may use different contents in their %build section
> but *every* package is still being built with the same rpmbuild command.
>
> > Yes, I agree. Simple package installation must not require
> > interaction. We should define that as a fundamental tenet of our
> > approach. We need it to always be possible to have unattended or
> > scripted operation.
>
> +1
>
> > Yeah, obviously we'll need to maintain simple distinction about how we
> > maintain the data. Namespacing is one option. Another might be to use
> > an object-oriented API where we have objects associated with each
> > service (not necessarily package...) that have configuration options
> > specified as their attributes.
>
> OO API is fine, as long as all classes present a unified *interface*.
>
> About name-spacing/scoping:
>  * If a package contain more than one service, the scoping may be more
>    fine-grained/narrow than a package -- no problem.
>
>  * However, if the highest level scope is a package -- than each package
>    may simply contain its configuration definitions.
>    [I'm talking about the configuration keys+types, not their values].
>
>  * Advantages of such a design:
>    - When a package is installed, its configuration options are exposed
>      (simply because its configuration definition files are there)
>
>    - A package is still self-contained and fully describe its software
>      (including the available configuration options).
>
> > Extending the above, one of my thoughts on another thread on the
> > Fedora Server mailing list is to use D-BUS for the configuration API.
> [...]
I was just about to ask a dumb question, but then thinking about the
configuration issues for modern software, I was struck by the DUHH!
lightening bolt.  If you use configuration classes, each application can
have overloaded classes for each type of use, whether it is a IOT
device, a phone, a notepad, a surface type device, a notebook, a desktop
or even a complex system created for solving completely unique problems
(thinking n-dimensional computing structures here.)

	This kind of makes sense.  Each interface could have its own
descriptors that could be proportionally used to set the default
settings and operate within the particular hardware design and still
give a good user experience.

	Does this kind of apply to your use here?

Regards,
Les H