Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 01:47:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm just throwing "jigdo" into the mix[1].

From the infrastructure side, jigdo only needs templates to be hosted.
It picks rpms from the mirrors just like $package_manager. Would it be
feasible to host jigdo files for spins instead of ISO files? The users
would be downloading the same amount, only they'll be downloading
individual packages instead of the finished ISO. It comes in handy if
you're downloading more than one spin, since the already downloaded
packages needn't be downloaded again.

Issues with this:
1. I'm not certain if jigdo composes liveCDs
2. Upstream seems dead[2]
3. Does it run on windows/mac/not linux?
4. QA?

A brain fart at best, lots of details to be fleshed out.

There's also "Dorrie"[3], but I don't think it solves any issues.
Rather, it'll probably increase infra/QA load since it is meant to be a
"generate an ISO on demand" service.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/JigdoRelease
[2] http://atterer.net/jigdo/
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remixes_Web_Interface