Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 12:47:34 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Well I think this idea is interesting and we have discussed something along these
lines in the Workstation working group. I mean at the end of the day we all want as much
software as possible packaged for Fedora/Product. The question to me lies in the details
of how this is done. For instance the idea we hope to explore are we develop the technical
specification for the workstation is what kind of rules should apply to these potential
'formulas'. There are some obvious ones like, you can't for instance in a 'formula' to  replace a package
that would break the core product for instance due to replacing a version of a package with one that
got a different ABI. (This specific idea is quite well covered in existing Fedora guidelines, but I wanted to
avoid derailing this discussion by choosing an example that I hope would generate discussion in itself :)

> - or we could go even further and ask ourselves, do we want to call
> products Fedora? Or do we want products as remixes too? Based on
> underlying Fedora infrastructure? This could for example solve issues
> with our values - 3rd party repos etc.

Using the Fedora brand to only define a set of 'white box' packagesets is an option,
but in some sense it means the end of 'Fedora' as a user facing brand.

> > 3) Should Spins be considered Products-in-development? In other words,
> > should we only approve Spins that are targeted or destined for
> > "promotion" to a fully-supported Fedora Product? This is a nuanced
> > question, as it means different things for different Spins, for
> > example Spins focusing on a target-audience (Security Spin, Design
> > Suite Spin) vs. Spins focusing on a technology (LXDE Spin, MATE-Compiz
> > Spin).
>
> For target audience spins, see above Formulas. And once we have this,
> I think spins as we know them right now could go then.
>
> I'd like to avoid calling LXDE/MATE other tech spins as products in
> development but we would have to product categories
>
> - Release blocking products
> - Non release blocking products with limited support
>
> And to promote other products to be release blocking, WG would have to
> be formally established, team should prove sustainability, willingness
> to work on it and have resources allocated (own resources or get agreement
> from other teams on help, doesn't matter).
>
> Keep it simple and stupid.
>
> So my two cents are - revive Formulas (or now let's call it Stacks now?),
> have two categories of products but make it fair to be promoted...

The general issue with this secondary products is that they would lead to an endless
debate about how they get promoted/not promoted by 'Fedora' on the Fedora web pages, by
Fedora conference booths etc. Remixes in my opinion are better here as they make the division
clear and should actually empower the communities in question to more effectively drive and market
their specific product as opposed to spend time arguing over their placement or lack of placement on important
fedoraproject.org pages and simmilar.

Christian