Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 13:02:59 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Good to hear you're thinking about it.

> > - or we could go even further and ask ourselves, do we want to call
> > products Fedora? Or do we want products as remixes too? Based on
> > underlying Fedora infrastructure? This could for example solve issues
> > with our values - 3rd party repos etc.
>
> Using the Fedora brand to only define a set of 'white box' packagesets is an
> option,
> but in some sense it means the end of 'Fedora' as a user facing brand.

Yes, it would be end of Fedora as user facing brand. And also pretty demanding
to do it for different products.

> > > 3) Should Spins be considered Products-in-development? In other words,
> > > should we only approve Spins that are targeted or destined for
> > > "promotion" to a fully-supported Fedora Product? This is a nuanced
> > > question, as it means different things for different Spins, for
> > > example Spins focusing on a target-audience (Security Spin, Design
> > > Suite Spin) vs. Spins focusing on a technology (LXDE Spin, MATE-Compiz
> > > Spin).
> >
> > For target audience spins, see above Formulas. And once we have this,
> > I think spins as we know them right now could go then.
> >
> > I'd like to avoid calling LXDE/MATE other tech spins as products in
> > development but we would have to product categories
> >
> > - Release blocking products
> > - Non release blocking products with limited support
> >
> > And to promote other products to be release blocking, WG would have to
> > be formally established, team should prove sustainability, willingness
> > to work on it and have resources allocated (own resources or get agreement
> > from other teams on help, doesn't matter).
> >
> > Keep it simple and stupid.
> >
> > So my two cents are - revive Formulas (or now let's call it Stacks now?),
> > have two categories of products but make it fair to be promoted...
>
> The general issue with this secondary products is that they would lead to an
> endless
> debate about how they get promoted/not promoted by 'Fedora' on the Fedora web
> pages, by
> Fedora conference booths etc. Remixes in my opinion are better here as they
> make the division
> clear and should actually empower the communities in question to more
> effectively drive and market
> their specific product as opposed to spend time arguing over their placement
> or lack of placement on important
> fedoraproject.org pages and simmilar.

Same reason as for products outside Fedora brand - it would be pretty
demanding to do so. On the other hand I think the rules could be set pretty
straight.

Jaroslav