Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 15:58:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> So let's not start by putting too much sacred value on the term
> "Spin."  Rather, let's think about what specific technical and
> community-building problems are caused by using Remixes, how to solve
> them, and then consider that effort on balance against status quo.

Paul, my personal problem with all this remix talk is more of a
branding thing. While a spin can be called a remix in the same sense
that a square can be called a rectangle we lose important information
by doing that. Spins are special cases of remixes that assert values
about the spin and its creators that are important both to the
creators and to the consumers. Saying this image is all free software
from Fedora matters to people. And I think it matters to Fedora too
which is why we allow spins to use trademarks differently than
remixes.

I can imagine a new organization of things. Perhaps a different way to
build and distribute what we now call spins. But I'm having a real
hard time calling them remixes or treating them in the same way as
remixes. And I think deciding the "fate" of spins before we even see
the "product" that will be all that is left to replace them is putting
the cart before the horse.

John