Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Frank Murphy frankly3d at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 11:22:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 06:03:48 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

> What this does reveal is a bigger problem: that the audiences of at
> least some of the spins are not aware of this relationship to the
> larger Fedora ecosystem. This would indicate that the "dropping" or
> de-promoting the spins might lead the users of them to believe that
> the functionality they provided was removed from Fedora. While it is
> not a correct perception, it is nonetheless one that will occur (to
> some degree no matter how we advertise things) if some or all spins
> go away. It's a point that clearly merits consideration.

As long as "audience" is kept informed I think most thing will be fine,
But, I'm am a bit worried by "some" who are of the opinion if not Gnome,
then dump it. Without the option to install any pkg that may not have
the G word in it's name or origin.

Personally, I know currently, most DEs' can be installed with yum
groupinstall. But, that may not always be the case.

If it ends up as not being the case, users may just want to
code or whatever, without having to fight current distro to do so.

It may be easier to boot: non-Fedora-livemedia/DE-of-choice.
Carry on with your workflow.

I hope the future proves me wrong,
but I fear a too restrictive product,
may increase the (user-base) emigration, not halt it.

___
Regards,
Frank
www.frankly3d.com