Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jan 31 13:20:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-31 at 06:03 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> What this does reveal is a bigger problem: that the audiences of at least some of the spins are not aware of this relationship to the larger Fedora ecosystem. This would indicate that the "dropping" or de-promoting the spins might lead the users of them to believe that the functionality they provided was removed from Fedora. While it is not a correct perception, it is nonetheless one that will occur (to some degree no matter how we advertise things) if some or all spins go away. It's a point that clearly merits consideration.

The spins concept splits the community into small fiefdoms and creates
unnecessary divisions.

I've seen mails on this list recently where people proudly stated that
they would continue to advertise one particular spin at conferences etc,
regardless what the official Fedora products are. If that is how we
advertise 'Fedora', it is not really a surprise that our users are
unclear about what it really is...