Heads-up on rpm 4.12 coming to rawhide soon

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 14:12:30 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 03:05 PM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> Where I can read more about weak dependencies?

Have a look at my announcement I made in February:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-February/195743.html

Be aware that rpm-4.12 only implements the weak dependencies. Having
support in RPM is also only the first step for getting it into Fedora.
Support is needed throughout the packaging stack. As soon as all pieces
are in place and are well tested the FPC needs to come up with a policy
on how they should be used.

Florian

> --
> -Igor Gnatenko
>
> On Jun 27, 2014 7:38 PM, "Panu Matilainen" <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
> <mailto:pmatilai at laiskiainen.org>> wrote:
>

>     Hi all,
>
>     Rpm 4.12 alpha just got released:
>     http://lists.rpm.org/__pipermail/rpm-announce/2014-__June/000045.html <http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-announce/2014-June/000045.html>
>
>     The plan is to update rawhide to this shiny new version first thing
>     on Monday morning and babysit as needed (ie the usual drill), but if
>     you're feeling bored over the weekend or its as rainy wherever you
>     live as it is in here now, and you're feeling a little bit brave,
>     give it a spin in the meanwhile:
>
>     https://copr.fedoraproject.__org/coprs/pmatilai/rpm-__snapshot/
>     <https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/pmatilai/rpm-snapshot/>
>
>     The copr packages are for rawhide only and should be very close to
>     what goes into rawhide on Monday. If you're dying to test but not
>     willing to rawhide all the way, they can be used on F20 too if you
>     1) install perl-generators from rawhide
>     2) remove rpm-python3 package before updating
>
>     As the announcement says, there are some rough edges still (as in,
>     there's a reason its alpha). I run it on my systems and it's not
>     expected to eat anybody (or their systems) alive, but do pay
>     attention...
>
>     Bug reports and other feedback welcome.
>
>             - Panu -
>     --

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael
O'Neill, Charles Peters