Koschei - continuous rebuilds for packages

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 14:23:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-02, jpacner at redhat.com <jpacner at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The rebuilds run in koji. You cannot get scratch build into koji build
>> root. You would need separate koji build target tag for that.
>
> I understood that Koschei does it anyway (to be able to rebuild the
> dependency subtree).

Speculation: Or it doesn't. Maybe it submits the rebuilds in dependency
order but it does the builds against vanilla koji repository. And that's
all only to prevent from continuing in rebuilding reverse dependecies if
a package has failed.

> Either way, it doesn't sound problematic to create
> temporary tags (although I'm not sure about performance penalty).

I worry the Koschei is just a packager-space tool without any
koji-releng-priviledges for creating tags. I heard using offical koji
instance is one of the design decisions.

Maybe perl-Fedora-Rebuild could satisfy your desire. It can do dependency
ordered bootstrap in mock or in koji. (Bootstrap means you define
a pattern for a dependency symbols of interest, e.g. /perl\([^)]*\)/,
and then the build order is computed on this constrained set of
dependecies starting from empty set---thus the bootstrap.)

-- Petr