New Fedora 22 Change proposal: systemd-sysusers

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Wed Jul 9 17:18:41 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> On Wed, 09.07.14 10:30, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at redhat.com) wrote:
> > * breaks the configurable [UG]ID_MIN logic
> > (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/1000SystemAccounts, and yes,
> > that is actually used and needed)
>
> Well, this is something I really don't like. THis limit should be
> compile-time configurable, but not runtime-configurable. This is
> something the distributor needs to decide on, not something
> administrators should be able to change without recompiling.

Please, no!  As soon as you use disparate systems in a network
environment, having differing versions of UID_MIN (where recompilation
is required to change) is just wrong.  As the message above sys, "yes,
that is actually used and needed".  I see no valid justification for
removing that functionality.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>