fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

Mike Pinkerton pselists at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 9 19:07:51 UTC 2014

On 7 Jul 2014, at 11:17, Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Stephen Gallagher
> <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> It's also misleading given how much focus has been given to the
>>> three new products that will be released: So why now is there a
>>> "non-productised" version? That's not been advertised much.
>>>

>> I honestly don't know how much more we could have advertised that.
>> We've been talking about it since the beginning. Particularly about
>> how the Fedora Products are additive to the classic Fedora and that
>> spins aren't going away (they're non-productized versions too).
>
> You're talking about additive in the "they all use the same repos"
> sense, but there is no planned install media that will be produced
> similar to the F20 release.  There are the 3 products, and there are
> the spins.  The product closest to the existing Fedora default is
> Workstation, and we're targeting a live media as the primary
> deliverable.  There have been 0 plans or discussions around
> fedup/upgrades from F20 so far.

While I appreciate that the Fedora project has goals that it wants to
achieve with the three new "products", I had assumed based on the
explanations that I have read that:

1.  There will not be any change in the repo structure -- no separate
repos for separate "products".

2.  For those of us who are not interested in the new "products" or
do not find their minimum package assurances to be important in our
use cases, there will still be a traditional "non-productized" Fedora.

3.  There will still be plain "non-productized" versions of /etc/os-
release (or wherever the systemd guys are relocating it) and /etc/
fedora-release.

4.  There would be, at least, a net install CD to install a
traditional "non-productized" Fedora system.

5.  A fedup upgrade will be possible from a traditional "non-
productized" Fedora 20 system to a traditional "non-productized"
Fedora 21 system and, in due time, from traditional "non-productized"
Fedora 21 to 22, etc.

Am I mistaken on any or all of this?

--
Mike Pinkerton