New Fedora 22 Change proposal: systemd-sysusers

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 10 07:37:34 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, July 9, 2014, 1:24:12 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 09.07.2014 19:18, schrieb Chris Adams:
>> Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
>> Please, no!  As soon as you use disparate systems in a network
>> environment, having differing versions of UID_MIN (where recompilation
>> is required to change) is just wrong.  As the message above sys, "yes,
>> that is actually used and needed".  I see no valid justification for
>> removing that functionality

> +1

> UID_MIN                   500
> UID_MAX                 60000

> GID_MIN                   500
> GID_MAX                 60000

> still here in use and that won't change

> if somebody enforces to change that at compile time he don't
> care for any production setups not re-installed every year
> and decides to break things just for fun

The  boundary  between  system  and  user  IDs  moved from 500 to 1000
relatively recently (F18). Aside from giving more room for system IDs,
this  had  the  side  effect  of hiding IDs from 500 to 999 that were
created by older Fedora releases from the GDM logon panel.

User  IDs  had to be moved above 999 to be visible again. It was a bit
of a painful transition.

Does this mean the system headers were not updated to match?
Al