New Fedora 22 Change proposal: systemd-sysusers

William william at firstyear.id.au
Thu Jul 10 07:46:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-10 at 08:17 +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
> A non-API related question...

> Generally, I prefer the explicit systemd settings over home directory
> with "magical" effects, but I wonder if anyone is aware of existing
> system users which carry more complex semantics.

Perhaps look at the amanda backup system? That uses the home directory
location quite deeply in its setup ....

Additionally, This doesn't seem to be hugely clear some of the effects
of what you want to achieve. Perhaps the answers to these questions can
be put on the wiki to clear up some initial concerns I have as a
sysadmin.

* Files in systemd's sysusers configuration directory will be used as a
data source to create /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

Under what conditions are these two files created / touched?
When I install a package and add a file to this sysuser directory, is
only that user added to passwd and shadow?
Is there a way to disable or remove a system user from being added
to /etc/shadow?
Are changes to shadow/passwd made by a user respected / preserved (IE to
a user account)?
What happens if a human edits the system account generated by systemd,
do the changes get lost?

--
William <william at firstyear.id.au>