fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

Mike Pinkerton pselists at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 10 13:53:33 UTC 2014

On 10 Jul 2014, at 07:04, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 07/09/2014 05:08 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 04:42:23PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> I do not know which or if any Spins will be providing the
>>> specific net install CD you're asking about. This will not be an
>>> *official* (read: tested by QA) method of installing Fedora.
>>> However, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
>>

>> A few months ago* I remember the server WG talking about providing
>> a minimal/netinstall image. Has this changed?
>>
>> * dredges up meeting logs --
>> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/server-wg/server-wg.
>> 2014-02-25-16.00.html
>>

> That's why I said the *specific* netinstall he was asking for. The
> Fedora Server netinstall wouldn't be producing a non-productized
> result, which is what he asked for: "4.  There would be, at least, a
> net install CD to install a traditional "non-productized" Fedora
> system."

A minimal netinstall would be ok if there is a simple way to replace
the "productized" fedora-release package with a plain, non-
productized fedora-release package.

In saying that, I am making an assumption that, once the fedora-
release package is switched out, then any "product" requirements or
constraints would disappear and the system would be a traditional,
non-productized Fedora system that could then be configured however
the system administrator chose.

Is that assumption wrong?

Thanks.

--