New Fedora 22 Change proposal: systemd-sysusers

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jul 10 15:35:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014, at 05:42 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > Two examples from the top of my head:
> >  * Some tftpd implementations use it as the base path (and chroot into it)
> >  * Some anonymous ftpd implementation have similar use (chroot into ~ftp)

But these aren't really usable without configuration, no?  Now many
server packages do have default configuration pointing to a default data
store (e.g. apache and /var/www/html), but I think there's a reasonable
expectation that the majority of sites customize this.

Hmm, actually though since sysusers defaults to /, that would presumably
mean the default ftp server install would serve up the entire OS, which
is probably not desired.  Lennart, what about changing the default to
/var/empty or so?

Interesting, httpd appears to default to /usr/share/httpd for its home
directory, not /var/www/ as I would have expected.

> The "gdm" user also kinda needs a home directory.

This one is special enough that I think alternatively we could have GDM
use a compiled-in default of $localstatedir/lib/gdm if the home
directory is the default.  (Leading to the question of what the default
should be).

I'm just thinking out loud - maybe it's easiest to add the home
directory field.