Applications not visible in the software center

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:14:11 UTC 2014

I've been asked by a few people if I could write a list of all the
applications that are not being included in the AppStream metadata for
one reason or another. The list of rules we're aiming to share between
Suse, Fedora and Debian (which itself is work in progress, so don't
loose a kidney just yet) is here:
https://github.com/hughsie/appstream-glib#what-is-an-application

I've uploaded an interactive page at
http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/screenshots/f21/failed.html which
explains why applications are being left out. The usual reasons are
crazy small icons, or no short description, but there are other
reasons too. I've personally emailed all (!) the upstream maintainers
who ship a very small icon, or one with XPM or ICO file format, so
hopefully some of these will magically be fixed in the future.

If you've got any concerns please grab me, but otherwise just fixing
up your spec file and doing a build for *f21* and waiting a day will
make things magically work and your application appear.

Richard.