Is fedpkg designed to be usable for online only?

Christopher Meng cickumqt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 02:09:25 UTC 2014

Hi,

After using the new pkgdb2 API based fedpkg, I'd like to ask a question here:

Is fedpkg designed to be usable when online only?

------------------------

Well..

If I cut disable my connection, fedpkg switch-branch doesn't work:

Could not execute switch_branch: len([]) != len(['ssh: Could not
resolve hostname pkgs.fedoraproject.org: Name or service not known',
'', '', 'and the repository exists.'])
ERROR:rpkg:Could not execute switch_branch: len([]) != len(['ssh:
Could not resolve hostname pkgs.fedoraproject.org: Name or service not
known', '', '', 'and the repository exists.'])

I really don't think it's a good idea if I can't work offline. And
rpkg throws 2 same info here is also a bug, but it's not so annoying.

Again on the switch-branch, it's pretty slow now somewhere because it
depends on the ssh authentication which requires the active internet
connection. Unfortunately in some cases connecting to the
fedoraproject.org is not fast as imagined, accordingly it even took me
1.5 min to switch the branch just now.

But in the past I don't have any problem here.

So is it the philosophy of new fedpkg?

Thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Christopher Meng