OCaml packages in Rawhide (was: Re: rawhide report: 20140717 changes)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 10:08:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:35:25AM +0000, Fedora Rawhide Report wrote:
> [alt-ergo]
> 	alt-ergo-0.95.2-6.fc21.i686 requires ocaml(runtime) = 0:4.01.0
> 	alt-ergo-0.95.2-6.fc21.i686 requires ocaml(Weak) = 0:e86b819661351c07c5122e164ffd29ea

etc etc

A progress report on the OCaml packages in Rawhide:

There is a code generator bug in the new Common Subexpression
Elimination (CSE) pass in the compiler which affects armv7hl and
aarch64 (but not x86).  This bug is being worked on by Mark Shinwell,
who is one of the upstream committers.  As an interim workaround until
upstream comes up with a proper fix, I have patched the OCaml compiler
to disable the CSE pass on %{arm} & aarch64.  This works fine in that
the code generated is correct but a little less optimal.

The second problem was the unbundling upstream of the compiler
subpackages ocaml-camlp4 (macros) and ocaml-labltk (Tk interface).  Of
those, ocaml-camlp4 is by far the most important since may packages
use macros.  Thanks to Michel Alexandre Salim ocaml-camlp4 has now
been reviewed and is waiting to enter Fedora (RHBZ#1119081).

As a result, we are nearly at the point where the majority of packages
can be rebuilt for Rawhide.

I have a mass rebuild script to do this, and I will run that once
ocaml-camlp4 is available in the buildroots.

Even if we get a CSE fix from upstream, I don't anticipate that we
will need to do a "mass rebuild" of OCaml packages, but I'll reserve
final judgement until I see the fix.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW