Dracut, dmsquash, and overlays

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Mon Jul 28 14:37:58 UTC 2014

Hello there,

I'm working with F20 and CentOS 7 to create some live booted images.  I'm not looking to do live USB/CD media, but rather boot a server over the network with a kernel, initramfs, and squashfs.  It's working well so far, but I have a filesystem issue that I can't seem to fix.

My build scripts create a 10GB sparse file and I fill that with an ext4 filesystem.  I package that up into a squashfs as specified in the docs[1].  That boots just fine.

However, if I attempt to fill the filesystem, it fills and becomes corrupt much earlier than I'd expect.  I've put some log info into a gist[2].

My expectation is that if I create a 10GB live filesystem and and the system has > 10GB of RAM available, I'd expect that I could store somewhere around 10GB of data in the live filesystem before I run into a full filesystem.  Is that expectation incorrect?  Am I configuring something incorrectly?

Thanks for taking the time to read this far. :)

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveOS_image
[2] https://gist.github.com/major/d4e9f447ab942edd7952

--
Major Hayden