HEADSUP: json-c SONAME BUMP

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 16:02:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 08:53:53PM +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> > As upstream didn't seriously consider the API breakage, json
> > 0.11->0.12 brings an issue of one function which is deprecated from
> > now on. This has caused bug 1123785
>
> > so I will bump the soname manually
>
> I'm sorry, wat???
>
> This is not your decision to make as packager. What will you do when upstream
> bump the soname? Do soname +1 again?
>
> If the udpate broke packages:
<snip>
> b) if it was only applied to rawhide (which to my
> understanding it should have), then just inform the maintainers of the
> affected
> packages that they have to rebuild or ask to do so yourself.

No, that would completely defeat the point of the soname.  If upstream won’t use sonames or symbol versioning, it’s better for Fedora to patch the software to use them properly, even if it means having to continue to patch it.  IIRC we do have various packages that have to do this.

(The tradeoff here is that if we don’t fix the soname/versioning usage, locally-compiled software of _Fedora’s_ users, and packages in _Fedora_ that didn’t get updated, are silently broken; if we do fix the soname/versioning usage, other people’s _non-Fedora_ packages may not be installable on Fedora easily.  The best thing of course is to have upstream use sonames/versioning correctly, and have nothing broken; but if that’s not possible, a Fedora-specific fix does seem much more preferable.)
    Mirek