Self Introduction / Contributing a package to Fedora

Jeff Backus jeff.backus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 12:52:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 08:30:10AM +0200, Matthias Runge wrote:
>> Ok, where do I find a Sponsor?  on this list, or is there another
>> one?  Or
>> is that the whole part where I have to submit the package, open up a bug
>> report, and reference that here?  (I think that's what I got out of the
>> docs last time I went through it).
>I bet, there are quite a few sponsors reading here.
>
>You're right, it's the whole part with opening a bug etc. The process is
>described at [1]. I suggest you to submit your spec for review.
>
>To mark your bug as blocked by the lack of being sponsored, you should
>add insert 177841 as a blocker for your bug. (Blocks field).
>
>At least some sponsors are watching that NEEDSPONSOR bug (numbered
>177841); they'll get an auto mail about a change.
>
>A few remarks about your spec given at [2]:
>- Source0 should be a valid URL (if possible)
>- in files section, you should use %{_bindir} instead of /usr/bin
>- the same applies to your install section
>- and of course your changelog must contain entries
>- insert real version numbers and release numbers to Version and Release
>
>Once you did that, you might want to try rpmlint -i on your SPEC and
>SRPM file. That will check for most common issues and will report them.
>
>HTH,
>Matthias
>
>[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
>[2] https://github.com/derekp7/snebu/blob/master/snebu.spec

As someone who has recently become a packager, I'd also highly
recommend:
* Reading/following this article:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
* Using the fedora-review tool to check your package as you fiddle and
  tweak
* Do informal reviews on packages that are similar to yours and have
  been posted by people who do not need a sponsor - just be sure to
  mention up front that it is informal and you aren't a packager yet.

I can't stress enough how helpful it is to practice by reviewing other
packages before trying to submit yours. You may be surprised at how many
"oh, right, oops" moments you'll have. :)

Regards,
Jeff

--
Jeff Backus