Deprecate setjmp/longjmp? [was Re: Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 00:13:52 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-04-27 at 19:12 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Can't wait for this latest howler from the great minds of Fedora to hit
> Slashdot.

NECRO ALERT

Still catching up on devel@ archives. This was an interesting thread to
read in retrospect (and much of it over my head), but I was particularly
disappointed to see this.

On the one hand, this is *kind of* a legitimate concern. The tech press
- especially the more disreputable end of it - tends to read our lists
and forums and even, on occasion, IRC, and post up ridiculous stories
based on misunderstandings of what it finds.

On the other hand, I think it'd be a *terrible* idea to start
self-censoring our thoughts based on how they might look as a Slashdot
or Phoronix (or, gods forbid, Varghese) story. That'd be an awful
'chilling effect'.

Sam, this was clearly a half-baked thought Lennart threw out in passing.
It wasn't a formal proposal. Andrew thought it was interesting enough to
have a kick-around thread. Various smart folks considered it and there
was a fairly solid consensus that it wasn't a great idea. And that's as
far as it went. That seems entirely reasonable to me. It'd be kind of
sad if we couldn't kick around stuff like this on a list like devel at .
It's bad enough that Slashdot et al pick this stuff up and then badly
misrepresent it; having our own list participants invoke/encourage that
kind of thing doesn't seem at all useful to me.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey