Deprecate setjmp/longjmp? [was Re: Maybe it's time to get rid of tcpwrappers/tcpd?]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 19:40:46 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 21:15 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Adam Williamson writes:
>
> > Sam, this was clearly a half-baked thought Lennart threw out in passing.
> > It wasn't a formal proposal.
>
> I don't think there was any danger of anyone possibly considering that.
>
> > It's bad enough that Slashdot et al pick this stuff up and then badly
> > misrepresent it; having our own list participants invoke/encourage that
> > kind of thing doesn't seem at all useful to me.
>
> I don't think a message here can either make that happen or not make that
> happen.

I think it can make it *slightly more likely* to happen.

>  But if it were to happen, whose fault would that ultimately be?(*)

Slashdot's, of course. But when we know something is a bad thing, if we
can make it less likely to happen without losing anything of value (i.e.
by not posting stuff like "just wait till slashdot gets a hold of
this!") we might as well.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey