F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 11 12:52:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 02:44:10PM +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> * package 'dnf-yum-compat-command' is installed by default. It obsoletes Yum
> and provides its own <code>/usr/bin/yum</code>, a short script that redirects
> to <code>/usr/bin/dnf</code> with an appropriate warning message that DNF is
> the preferred package manager now. Notice that upgrading F21 to F22 will not
> cause the compat package to be installed so will not disturb any upgrading
> users.

This is kind of sentimental, and I think possibly Seth would not have liked
to have a big deal made of it, but... I guess I'm going to anyway. I would
like to keep the "yum" name in remembrance of his contributions. This also
seems like the easiest path for all of the documentation, scripts, and user
habits out there. I don't mind if the backend package is called "dnf", but
why not keep /usr/bin/yum as the primary command and just do the right
thing, only warning on incompatible usage rather than nagging every time it
is used?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>