F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 15:21:30 UTC 2014

On 11. 6. 2014 at 08:52:34, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 02:44:10PM +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > * package 'dnf-yum-compat-command' is installed by default. It
obsoletes
> > Yum and provides its own <code>/usr/bin/yum</code>, a short script
that
> > redirects to <code>/usr/bin/dnf</code> with an appropriate warning
> > message that DNF is the preferred package manager now. Notice that
> > upgrading F21 to F22 will not cause the compat package to be installed
so
> > will not disturb any upgrading users.
>
> This is kind of sentimental, and I think possibly Seth would not have liked
> to have a big deal made of it, but... I guess I'm going to anyway. I would
> like to keep the "yum" name in remembrance of his contributions. This also
> seems like the easiest path for all of the documentation, scripts, and user
> habits out there. I don't mind if the backend package is called "dnf", but
> why not keep /usr/bin/yum as the primary command and just do the right
> thing, only warning on incompatible usage rather than nagging every time it
> is used?

Actually the plan is to keep /usr/bin/yum as the primary command during the
transition but it will do something similar to what the /sbin/service command
does now. It will redirect to dnf and give user a message that it is
redirecting to dnf.

As for scripts, that's actually another reason why to keep yum around. Some
scripts might not be able to handle some of the minor differences and some
python scripts might still want to use the yum python API. That's why it makes
sense to keep yum around for a few releases as a fallback.

Thanks
Jan