F22 System Wide Change: Replace Yum With DNF

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:25:31 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:

> The transition period is one reason why we want to keep the name dnf. We'd
> basically like to keep current yum around for users that have various
> scripts
> and stuff depending on it so they have some time to migrate to dnf.

I would suggest doing it the other way around.   Rename old yum to
yum-legacy.  Rename dnf to yum and at the end of the transition period drop
yum-legacy and retain yum as the command line name.   For any deprecation
options, warn on them and suggest the supported alternative.  With your
current plan, after the transition period, everyone has to retrain
themselves to type dnf instead of yum which I don't think is necessary.

Rahul